Thursday, February 11, 2010

Materials

Well, here is a start...
I started a bug log about things that bother me in everyday life, and quickly came to the realization that most of those are not changeable by a single tool. If in a 4 person household I am the only one picking things up off the floor, I can either crack the whip over the other 3, or invent a tool like the one used to pick up the rubbish off the streets. That is not a tool I am interested in.
Then I wondered what bugged me in my everyday life as person making and selling jewelry. There is one thing that really bothers me about the field, and that is the overproduction of jewelry. The department stores are full to the brim with bling, and there is general abundance of wearables, that leaves one wondering, who is going to wear all this. And what happens at the end- do those many pieces get passed down from mother to daughter, is every piece worth to be given as a gift once the owner is done wearing it? I would say at best they end up at the salvation army stores.
I was once at a playground with my daughter and her friend where we found a huge bounty of thrown out custom jewelry that littered the little creek that was passing through. It all really looked quite beautiful! It had clearly been taken by a burglar who upon realizing the absence of any street value of his bounty, dumped it in this creek.
So I propose to investigate the possibility of making jewelry from materials that have an inbuilt shelf life. By this I mean not only biodegradability, I mean that the material will naturally decay after a certain period of time. That includes that they may be yummy enough to be eaten, or they may simply shrivel up beyond recognition, of be eaten by fungus..... we`ll see

No comments:

Post a Comment