Monday, October 11, 2010

Inspiration


The world around me inspires me- this can be something I heard on the radio or something I see while walking down the street. This often leads to a certain shape which then represents the core theme of what I'm making. All pieces follow that initial theme and present themselves as variations. Then there are concepts I like to explore- these are somewhat different in as much as they reside within me and represent a condensation of life experiences, rather like something I might want to write a book about had I that talent. In fact, the development of one of those pieces often involves a sketch with a lot of writing about its current state to distill its essence which points to the direction it will morph into next. Although I see my work as constantly evolving there are certain features that remained constant: my pieces tend to have a evanescent quality to them, involving multiple solder points with 30 gauge wire or hairnet pieces formed with the mere whiff of a flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment